Saturday, 12 December 2009
Medway Mortal Musings...Reavsey
Here comes Reavsey....prolific Urban Punk Folkist...with his musings on the Medway Delta.
Tonight, Reavsey wears a cropped satin Care Bears T-Shirt with Cheesecloth trousers and winkle-pickers....he dreams of World Peace..and would love to work with animals.
1) Please tell us a little about yourself and about how long you've been associated with the Medway Towns?
I have been in the Medway towns since mid 1990’s
2) What's your favourite memory of Medway?
Not one in particular..always look forward to coming back over Rochester bridge when away.
3) What's your favourite Medway building?
Not really a building, Rochester High Street late at night/early hours when all is quiet. I still have the ability to see past the commercialisation which on occasions casts a shadow on the beauty of this area. There are still times when you can appreciate the atmosphere of the old place and sense the ghosts from times past.
4) Where's your parish? Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham? Elsewhere?
5) Have you some favourite bands or solo acts from past and/or present? (Medway Acts)
There are many great bands past and present of course but The Singing Loins are my fave
6) Any great memories of wild nights out to share?
Probably a party the night I bit my cousins dog (It was only a playful nip) it’s a long story...that and the many nights watching bands of course.
7) What's your favourite pub? (clubs and bars do count)
8) If you were to show a visitor around Medway for a day...where would you take them?
Rochester High Street and then some of the Music Venues in the area. Around the many nice river walks etc
9) Is there a landmark that you instantly think of for the towns?
Rochester Castle/The Naval War Memorial – Chatham/Rochester Bridge
10) If you could live in any building in Medway where would you choose?
Eastgate House - Rochester...or many of the old buildings in the historic area or Rochester or some of the old buildings in Chatham Historic Dockyard.....
11) Any particular shops that you think are worth a mention?
The Candy Bar Rochester High Street..if you like quality sweets etc (curator's note: I hope that's not a dig at my rotundity)
12) Which famous people...real or fictional...do you immediately associate with Medway?
Dickens and his creations
13) What's your very earliest memory of being here in these towns?
Coming from London originally the greenness, the laid back atmosphere and the lovely people ;o)
14) Any sad memories of Medway?
Spending so much time in Medway Maritime hospital due to illness and of course some of the old Medway that has been destroyed to make way for some town planner’s vision.
15) What's your favourite local music venue...past or present?
16) Do you enjoy the current Medway Music Scene?
Yes a great deal
17) Do you think the towns will change drastically...on the entertainment front...over the next 20 years?
Yes there will be less individual places/venues/pubs with character which will be replaced by bland multi outlet establishments appealing to the lowest common denominator. I believe...The shopping Mallisation of Medway will then be complete probably full of mass market outlets like the wonderful and interesting "Dockside" we all flock to of course...
18) What would you change about Medway if you had the chance?
Stop adding new white elephants; concentrate on the gems that are here instead of destroying them.
19) If you were asked to design a snappy logo for the Medway Towns....perhaps for an ultra-modern coat of arms...what items or items would you have on it?
The Naval Memorial/The Castle - Rochester/and a Burberry Cap on top of a Silver Cross Buggy
20) Lastly...on the tail of the last question...what would be a great SLOGAN for The Medway Towns?
Medway, it’s the bollocks!
Hope you don’t mind this addition
21) What is your favourite place in Medway?
The marshes in and around Rainham where I walk my dog...especially in bad weather you can walk for ages without seeing another person, the harsher the weather the better...makes you feel alive...LOL