Monday, 14 December 2009
Alex Turner is a much-respected lensman of the Medway Towns...a fellow with a fine eye for detail and for observation and capture of the ironic side of culture. His photographic work can be seen on Flickr under the moniker of MONAXLE.
Today he shares some of his wonderful thoughts with us:
1) Please tell us a little about yourself and about how long you've been associated with the Medway Towns?
My roots are in Faversham and Canterbury. 15 years in and around London. I've lived in Medway since 2001.
2) What's your favorite memory of Medway?
My three youngest being born at Medway Hospital. Amazing stuff.
3) What's your favourite Medway building?
I like that old warehouse in Gillingham, near the railway line, where they sell the mobility aids and such like.
4) Where's your parish? Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham? Elsewhere?
5) Have you some favourite bands or solo acts from past and/or present? (Medway Acts)
Archie Wah Wahs, Lupen Crook, The Singing Loins. The Deccas.
6) Any great memories of wild nights out to share?
It got a bit loopy in The General at Sea a little while ago. Lucky to get out unscathed I was!
7) What's your favorite pub? (clubs and bars do count)
8) If you were to show a visitor around Medway for a day...where would you take them?
Out to Cliffe on a bike. Out on the river in a canoe.
9) Is there a landmark that you instantly think of for the towns?
Rochester railway bridge as seen and heard from the inside of a train carrige.
10) If you could live in any building in Medway where would you choose?
The Command House
11) Any particular shops that you think are worth a mention?
12) Which famous people...real or fictional...do you immediately associate with Medway?
13) What's your very earliest memory of being here in these towns?
Driving past Rod Hulls old house in Rochester back in the seventies. Queueing up in traffic for Chatham Navy Day. Again back in the seventees.
14) Any sad memories of Medway?
15) What's your favourite local music venue...past or present?
16) Do you enjoy the current Medway Music Scene?
Love it. I think Medway musicians and creatives are all brilliant.
17) Do you think the towns will change drastically...on the entertainment front...over the next 20 years?
Yes. For the good and the bad.
18) What would you change about Medway if you had the chance?
Remove the hills. At least the ones that go up.
19) If you were asked to design a snappy logo for the Medway Towns....perhaps for an ultra-modern coat of arms...what items or items would you have on it?
A guitar, a camera, some paintbrushes and a microphone.
20) Lastly...on the tail of the last question...what would be a great SLOGAN for The Medway Towns?
Medway Moves You